General Information

Hospital & Medical Services

Visitors are strongly urged to obtain health insurance before leaving their country. (Your health insurance may not extend coverage outside your country of residence.) If you are taking medication prescribed by your doctor, bring an adequate supply and a copy of the prescription in case it needs to be renewed by a doctor in Ontario. For more information, contact your travel agent or insurance agent.

Shopping Hours

Stores stay open until 6:00 p.m. in most parts of Ontario. Many city and suburban stores stay open until 9:00 p.m. Sunday shopping is available in many centres.


Licenses are required for fishing or hunting in Ontario and may be purchased from numerous outlets, including sports stores, tourist outfitters, hunting and fishing lodges and the Ministry of Natural Resources.

Drinking Age

The legal age for the purchase and consumption of alcohol is 19 in Ontario.

Metric System

Ontario's official standard of measurement is the metric system. All road signs, speed limits, distances, weather reports and the like are in metric.


Fort Frances' weather is much like the Northern United States. June, July and August are our true summer months when daytime temperatures range from 25-30C (77-86F), though nights may be cool, particularly in the north. In autumn, foliage takes on fall colours towards the end of September and reaches its height in October. Medium to heavy-weight clothing is necessary, especially in November when the weather is cold and frosty. Snowfall is usually experienced through December, January and February. the snow begins to recede in March before totally disappearing in April. This is followed by warm temperatures and spring flowers in May.

Canada/US Border Crossing

US Border Crossing – Joining the communities of Fort Frances and International Falls, Minnesota the border crossing rarely experiences delays. Click here to link directly to the CBSA website for additional information.

Border Crossing Requirements

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you will not need a passport or visa to enter Canada. However, you will need proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate, citizenship certificate, passport or landing card.

Bringing your boat across the border

You may enter Canada aboard your pleasurecraft or with it hitched to a trailer. Customs officers stationed along highway border crossings and at harbours will issue you a permit, which is then returned upon departure as proof that the boat has left the country. Many destinations offer Remote Area Border Crossings, which require you to register by telephone.

Federal Harbours (Ontario) available from:
  • Customs Border Service Canada
  • Toll Free: 1-800-461-98999 (information)
  • 36 Adelaide Street East
  • Second Floor East Tower
  • Toronto, Ontario M5C 1J7
  • Phone: (416) 973-973-8027 or (416) 9733239
  • Fax: (416) 954-9241

Firearms and Munitions

As a rule, prohibited or restricted weapons are not permitted to enter Canada. However, you may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario as a visitor for hunting or competition purposes if you are 18 years of age or older. For complete details, contact:

Chief Provincial Firearms Office
  • Toll Free: 1-800-731-4000 or (705) 329-7662
  • Fax: (705) 329-7660

Statutory Holidays in Ontario

New Year's DayJanuary 1
Good FridayLate March or April
Victoria DayFirst Monday on/before May 24
Canada DayJuly 1
Civic HolidayFirst Monday in August
Labour DayFirst Monday in September
ThanksgivingSecond Monday in October
Christmas DayDecember 25
Boxing DayDecember 26

Additional Resources

Fort Frances Tourist Information Centre

The Tourism Centre is your go-to spot for information on events and activities across the Rainy River District, and information on the many camps and lodges in Sunset Country. Open in the third week of May until late September at the International Border.

Enjoy a photo op with our full-sized real Canadian Moose!(807) 274-7303

Fort Frances Chamber of Commerce

Ontario's Sunset Country

Municipal Accommodation Tax FAQ (PDF)