Travel By Car

Situated on Hwy #11-71, Fort Frances is conveniently located at a border crossing, neighbouring with International Falls, MN. Just 347km (225mi) from Thunder Bay, Fort Frances has a small town charm found only in cottage country. It provides a lakeside getaway, where a day or weekend can be as relaxing as a week away.

Travel By Boat

Fort Frances boasts several marina facilities and a sea-way depth harbour. There is a launch ramp, docking and services such as hydro, water, lighting, washrooms, pump outs, showers and fuel.

Travel By Air

Fort Frances Municipal Airport . Just north of the town, our paved runway is 4500ft accessible by Bearskin Airlines. Fort Frances is also accessible by air from International Falls, MN. Falls International Airport is a short 3.3m (5.3km) drive north to the Canadian border.

Canada/US Border Crossing

US Border Crossing – Joining the communities of Fort Frances and International Falls, Minnesota the border crossing rarely experiences delays. Click here to link directly to the CBSA website for additional information.

Border Crossing Requirements

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you will not need a passport or visa to enter Canada. However, you will need proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate, citizenship certificate, passport or landing card.

Bringing your boat across the border

You may enter Canada aboard your pleasurecraft or with it hitched to a trailer. Customs officers stationed along highway border crossings and at harbours will issue you a permit, which is then returned upon departure as proof that the boat has left the country. Many destinations offer Remote Area Border Crossings, which require you to register by telephone.

Federal Harbours (Ontario) available from:
  • Customs Border Service Canada
  • Toll Free: 1-800-461-98999 (information)
  • 36 Adelaide Street East
  • Second Floor East Tower
  • Toronto, Ontario M5C 1J7
  • Phone: (416) 973-973-8027 or (416) 9733239
  • Fax: (416) 954-9241

Firearms and Munitions

As a rule, prohibited or restricted weapons are not permitted to enter Canada. However, you may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario as a visitor for hunting or competition purposes if you are 18 years of age or older. For complete details, contact:

Chief Provincial Firearms Office
  • Toll Free: 1-800-731-4000 or (705) 329-7662
  • Fax: (705) 329-7660

Nearest Centres

Northwestern Ontario

  • Emo, ON - 30 km
  • NewGold Mine, ON - 60 km
  • Rainy River, ON - 91.8 km
  • Nestor Falls, ON - 95.2 km
  • Sioux Narrows, ON - 140 km
  • Atikokan, ON - 151 km
  • Dryden, ON - 180 km
  • Kenora, ON - 210 km
  • Thunder Bay, ON - 347 km


  • Winnipeg, MB - 375 km
  • Brandon, MB - 652 km


  • International Falls, MN - 1.5 km
  • Baudette, MN - 94.5 km
  • Virginia, MN - 160 km
  • Duluth, MN - 263 km
  • Minneapolis, MN - 475 km
  • St. Paul, MN - 486 km

Southern Ontario

  • Sault Ste. Marie, ON - 1,027 km
  • Sudbury, ON - 1,341 km
  • Windsor, ON - 1,476 km
  • London, ON - 1,503 km
  • Toronto, ON - 1,710 km
  • Ottawa, ON - 1,788 km